What we do and who we are
We are GLOBAL NEIGHBOURS
We believe that everyone in the world has the right to live their lives with dignity. That’s why we work through the local Catholic Church and other partners in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to fight poverty and injustice, wherever the need is greatest.
We’re a member of Caritas International – a group of over 160 Catholic agencies from around the world – known as ‘the helping hand of the Church’. Because we work through the local Church we can reach people and places that others can’t.
This autumn, meet your MP to speak up for our common home and global neighbours. Join our Speak Up week of action on climate change and renewable energy.
Find out where we work
We are ROOTED IN THE CATHOLIC COMMUNITY
We are the official aid agency for the Catholic Church in England and Wales. Guided by the values of compassion, solidarity and hope, we are rooted in the Catholic community. Together, with the help of our volunteers, we put our faith into action to help our sisters and brothers living in extreme poverty to reach their full potential, regardless of religion or culture.
Find out about our values
We are HELPING PEOPLE HELP THEMSELVES
No one wants to live on handouts. Our priority is to equip people with skills and opportunities to live with dignity, support their families and give something back to their communities.
Find out how to support our work
We are FACING THE TOUGHEST CHALLENGES
Conflict. Climate change. Inequality. HIV and AIDS. Together, we tackle challenges head on every day, using our passion and expertise to bring about positive change.
We are THERE IN A CRISIS
We support local organisations who can act fast, providing food, water and shelter for people who have lost everything. And we’re there in the months and years that follow too, helping people rebuild their lives and prepare for whatever the future holds.
Read our latest emergency updates
Give regularly to our Emergency Response fund
We are SPEAKING OUT FOR JUSTICE
When international bodies and governments make decisions that damage poor communities, we must speak out.
Campaigning works – it can take years of effort or be as simple as signing a petition. Cancelled debt, increased aid for water and sanitation, action on climate change and a clamp down on corruption have all come as a result of taking action together.
We are LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
Each year, tens of thousands of young people discover our work at school or in groups – from volunteers, teachers and classmates.
We inspire young people to be the change they want to see in their communities and worldwide.
Search our education resources
Search our prayer resources
We are TRUSTED
The amount of money we receive and exactly how we spend it changes each year. But one thing stays the same – our commitment to spending it wisely.
Out of every £1 we spend, 88p goes on vital emergency relief and development work in the world’s poorest communities, as well as education and lobbying work in the UK, with only 12p spent on raising more money so that our work can continue.
Read our latest annual reports
We are INSPIRED BY ORDINARY PEOPLE
“We were just doing what we ought to do, remembering that we are all God’s children.”
Elspeth Orchard is just one of the extraordinary Catholic women who helped organise the first Fast Day in1960 that raised over £6,000.Two years later, CAFOD was born.
We are EXTRAORDINARY TOGETHER
“When you’re alone, you’re afraid, but we are stronger together. We know what the problem is. We help each other.”
Ligia Brigones supports women in Nicaragua to stand up for their rights.
You are CAFOD
None of our work is possible without you. Join us today and put your faith into action.
Give a donation to support our vital work around the world
Act by making your voice heard through our campaigns
Pray for our brothers and sisters living in poverty
Our Supporter Care statement
Every supporter and their contribution is valuable to us. Each prayer, gift and action makes a difference and inspires our work.
We work in partnership with our supporters, volunteers, our international partners and the people and communities we serve.
We strive to be excellent stewards of the resources entrusted to us by the Catholic community in England and Wales.
Our Supporter Promise
- You are partners in CAFOD’s work and we will always respond to you with respect, integrity and warmth.
- In every interaction we will ensure you are listened to, understood and valued.
- We will offer you different ways to put your faith into action.
- We will offer you information about our work so that you see how your contribution is making a difference.
- We welcome all feedback and will respond to all supporter enquiries promptly.
- We are committed to protecting your personal information and fully comply with the Data Protection Act 1998. We don’t share your information with external organisations for their marketing purposes. If you’d like to review or amend the communications you receive from CAFOD, you can do so at any time by calling us on 0303 303 3030 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information see our privacy statement.
- We promise high standards of fundraising and not to intrude or offend. We are a member of the Fundraising Standards Board, ensuring that our complaints procedure meets the benchmark set for charities. Read our fundraising promise.