Niger is the largest country in Western Africa. Around 80 per cent of it is covered by the Sahara desert and the non-desert parts frequently suffer droughts and food shortages.
People in Niger can't rely on a health system like the one our amazing NHS provides to us in England and Wales. The spread of coronavirus through families and communities will be devastating. We are in touch constantly with our local experts on the ground so that we are ready to support them with whatever they need to protect lives.
CAFOD's work in Niger
Your donations are reaching refugee families and those without enough to eat, who are even more vulnerable to coronavirus. Your support is helping local experts to:
- Run nutrition centres for malnourished children
- Pay people in cash or food to work on projects that benefit their communities
- Provide low-cost grain and giving food to the most vulnerable.
- Organise seed fairs, so that farmers can get seeds to plant in the next farming season.
- Support refugees who have fled from conflict in Libya and Mali.