CAFOD has been working in Bolivia for over 20 years. We work with partner organisations to support people living in poverty, to combat climate change, and to address issues surrounding equality and human rights.
Why CAFOD works in Bolivia
Bolivia is a landlocked country in South America stretching from the Amazon Basin to the Andean highlands known as the Altiplano. It is the poorest country in South America, with nearly half of the population living below the poverty line. This rises to 60% living in poverty in rural areas, where people depend on farming to make a living.
CAFOD in Bolivia
CAFOD has been working in Bolivia for more than twenty years, supporting partner organisations striving to ensure that:
- The most disadvantaged people have the skills and knowledge to propose and implement strategies to change their lives and communicate their needs to decision-makers.
- The poorest people in rural areas are able to produce nutritious food to sustain their families throughout the year.
- The impacts of climate change are understood and that communities are able to cope with these changes in climate.
- Human rights are understood and respected.
- Natural resources are managed in a fair and transparent manner.