Parliament in your Parish
We are inviting Catholics to organise a virtual meeting with their local MP, to discuss how to rebuild from the pandemic in a way that tackles the major global issues of our time, including climate change and unjust foreign debts.
Take an active part in reclaiming our common home
The coronavirus pandemic has been the greatest health crisis in a century. Pope Francis tells us that this moment of extraordinary turmoil is the time to rethink the future of our common home.
"Unless citizens control political power – national, regional and municipal – it will not be possible to control damage to the environment.”
Pope Francis, Laudato Si
There is no doubt that the issues we are campaigning on are big and complex. Yet, as Catholics, we know that for God nothing is impossible. We also know that small actions can be transformative.
Six simple steps to organising a virtual meeting with your MP
- Talk to your priest and let him know that you would like to organise a virtual meeting as part of CAFOD’s Reclaim Our Common Home campaign.
- Once your Parish is happy ‘hosting’ the virtual meeting, note down a few potential dates and times.
- Find one or two other members of your parish to help organise the meeting. You can also ask friends or family members who might be able to help too. Anything between two to six people will be a good number to work on this project.
- Email your MP’s office and invite them to the meeting. If you don’t get a reply in one week, send another email and follow up with a phone call. How to find your MP’s contact details
- Once your MP confirms the date and time, you will need to set up the digital meeting. You can use a platform such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams or Google Meet. Platforms like this will provide you with a link that you can share with everyone who is attending the meeting.
- Spread the word! Promote the meeting through your parish’s website, newsletter and social media channels. Phone and email people you know locally and invite them. Don't forget to let your local CAFOD Coordinator know the date too.
You don’t have to be an expert on policy issues to host a meeting! What is important is that you care about God’s creation and are passionate about ending global poverty and injustice.
Resources to help you
Find everything you need to arrange a Parliament in your Parish meeting, including advice on how to invite your MP and what questions to ask them.
We recently ran two online training sessions to help you learn step-by-step how to lobby your MP.
Fill in your details below to register your parish's meeting with us.