It’s time to #CancelTheDebt
Coronavirus is causing devastation right across the world.
Many of the world’s poorest nations are not only dealing with this health emergency but are also facing unimaginable financial hardship as a result of the global economic slowdown.
We know that the quickest way to deal with this worrying financial outlook is to keep money in developing countries by cancelling debt payments now.
Add your voice
Thank you to everyone who added your voice in asking world leaders to #CancelTheDebt. Over 100 people from across England and Wales shared their photo messages, which was delivered to Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak in a photo album. However, debt has not been cancelled, so you can still get involved by tweeting, sharing the action and following the steps below.
How to get involved
- Take a selfie, or ask a friend to take a photo of you creatively displaying the words “Cancel The Debt”.
- If possible, show where you are based e.g by a town or street sign, or notable feature.
- Share your image on Twitter and use the hashtag #CancelTheDebt. Be sure to tag @cafod so we can find your photos!
- If you have some extra time, also consider sharing your image on Facebook and Instagram using the #CancelTheDebt hashtag.
- Inspire others by sharing your photo with friends and family.
By adding your face and voice, you can show that debt isn’t something the international community will stand for.
By sending CAFOD your photos by email, or by sharing your photo and tagging CAFOD on social media, you are agreeing to the display of your photo. We will share your photo with campaign targets in October. Your photo will not be used for any reason other than for this campaign and CAFOD will never share your details for marketing.