Here are our top tips for living more simply – we’re here to support you taking steps to a greener lifestyle, finding more time to reflect and providing practical help to those in need.
Choose to livesimply throughout 2020
With your family
1. Plant a tree overseas to celebrate your child’s birthday, Baptism or First Holy Communion.
2. Compost your kitchen waste.
3. Have a meat-free day once a week.
4. Grow your own fruit, vegetables or herbs. This will be especially useful in the current situation.
5. Eat a simple meal with your family and donate what you save to other families in need. We’ve chosen our favourite soup recipes to inspire you!
On your own
1. We will all be buying less stuff with shops closed and socialising limited. This is part of living simply, but may also leave us with money that we can share with those less fortunate.
2. Challenge yourself to an ‘unplugged’ day – without your phone, TV or radio.
3. Take out a regular gift and help families on the front line of climate change by joining our Emergency Response Team.
4. Switch to a renewable energy provider.
5. Ask for donations to support poor communities, or a selection of World Gifts instead of presents for your next birthday.
6. Sign our petition demanding that the government act urgently to tackle the climate crisis.
7. Buy a World Gifts tote bag to limit the plastic bags you use when shopping.
8. Sign up to our prayer emails and spend time each week reflecting on the gospel.
With your parish
2. Collect coats, toiletries and shoes for local homeless people.
3. Save energy at church - use energy saving light bulbs, insulate your church and parish hall, and turn down the thermostat.
4. Provide green tips of the week for your parish newsletter or notice board – use some of the ones we’ve suggested here!
6. Choose Fairtrade tea and coffee for cuppas after Mass – and do the washing up with environmentally friendly products!
7. Stand in solidarity with young people in Colombia through our Hands On scheme.
8. Start a gardening club with others in your parish, hold a seed or sapling swap or create a garden at your church.
9. Become a collection point for your local food bank
10. Start working towards our LiveSimply award! We’ll support you with an email group, resources and the opportunity to share ideas and experience.