Bangladeshi thick dal
Learn how to make this delicious, thick lentil curry - a recipe straight from Bangladesh!
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 tablespoons corn oil or vegetable oil
- 2 onions
- 1 green chilli
- 1 clove of garlic
- Fresh coriander (optional)
- Rinse the lentils in water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of corn oil in a frying pan.
- Lightly fry the lentils in the oil for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add one chopped onion and the sliced green chilli and stir for a few minutes.
- Add 3 cups boiling water and simmer until almost all the water has evaporated and the lentils are soft.
- Add salt to taste and turn off the heat.
- In a separate frying pan, gently fry the remaining chopped onion and garlic with one tablespoon of oil.
- When the onions start to brown, add the lentils and mix together.
- Add fresh coriander to taste.
- Serve with roti bread or naan.
Global Family Food event
This Harvest CAFOD is holding a Global Family Food event on Saturday 10 October and we would love for you to join us. If you can't join our event, you could set up your own! We have more recipe ideas to help you get started.