Bangladeshi thick dal
Learn how to make this delicious, thick lentil curry - a recipe straight from Bangladesh!
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 tablespoons corn oil or vegetable oil
- 2 onions
- 1 green chilli
- 1 clove of garlic
- Fresh coriander (optional)
- Rinse the lentils in water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of corn oil in a frying pan.
- Lightly fry the lentils in the oil for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add one chopped onion and the sliced green chilli and stir for a few minutes.
- Add 3 cups boiling water and simmer until almost all the water has evaporated and the lentils are soft.
- Add salt to taste and turn off the heat.
- In a separate frying pan, gently fry the remaining chopped onion and garlic with one tablespoon of oil.
- When the onions start to brown, add the lentils and mix together.
- Add fresh coriander to taste.
- Serve with roti bread or naan.