Sri Lankan cadju curry
Learn how to make this delicious Sri Lankan curry with cashew nuts.
In Sri Lanka ‘curry’ means sauce – and this is a popular one using cadju (cashew) nuts. This is delicious with chapatis, noodles or rice.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom pod
- 3-4 curry leaves or 1 stalk lemongrass*
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, crushed**
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 250 g cashew nuts
- 420 ml coconut milk
* Lemongrass can be found in health food stores or Chinese supermarkets. You can also find dried, packaged lemongrass.
** Fenugreek seeds are hard to crush, but it is possible. You may prefer to use ground fenugreek.
- First heat the oil in a heavy pan and fry the cinnamon, clove, cardamom and curry leaves or lemongrass for a few moments before adding the onion and garlic.
- The ground fenugreek seeds, coriander, cumin, chili, turmeric and cashews go in now; stir well.
- Let everything cook together for 5 minutes to combine well. Then slowly pour in the coconut milk and stir round. Season, and simmer gently for 10 minutes before serving with boiled rice into which a few raisins or sultanas have been thrown while cooking.
Global Family Food event
This Harvest CAFOD is holding a Global Family Food event on Saturday 10 October and we would love for you to join us. If you can't join our event, you could set up your own! We have more recipe ideas to help you get started.