Sri Lankan cadju curry
Learn how to make this delicious Sri Lankan curry with cashew nuts.
In Sri Lanka ‘curry’ means sauce – and this is a popular one using cadju (cashew) nuts. This is delicious with chapatis, noodles or rice.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom pod
- 3-4 curry leaves or 1 stalk lemongrass*
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, crushed**
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 250 g cashew nuts
- 420 ml coconut milk
* Lemongrass can be found in health food stores or Chinese supermarkets. You can also find dried, packaged lemongrass.
** Fenugreek seeds are hard to crush, but it is possible. You may prefer to use ground fenugreek.
- First heat the oil in a heavy pan and fry the cinnamon, clove, cardamom and curry leaves or lemongrass for a few moments before adding the onion and garlic.
- The ground fenugreek seeds, coriander, cumin, chili, turmeric and cashews go in now; stir well.
- Let everything cook together for 5 minutes to combine well. Then slowly pour in the coconut milk and stir round. Season, and simmer gently for 10 minutes before serving with boiled rice into which a few raisins or sultanas have been thrown while cooking.