Ethiopian honey yeast bread
Learn how to make this delicious honey yeast bread from Ethiopia.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 60ml of lukewarm water
- 1 egg (organic)
- 6 tablespoons of honey (fairtrade)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 240ml lukewarm whole milk
- 6 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
- 600g flour
- Pour the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Allow it to stand for 3 minutes and then stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Leave the bowl in a warm place for around 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the mixture should have doubled in volume.
- Mix the egg, honey, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and salt until the mixture is smooth. Add the milk, yeast mixture and 5 tablespoons of the melted butter. Stir well. Gradually add the flour until the mixture becomes too stiff to stir.
- Knead the dough for around 5 minutes, adding a small amount of flour when necessary to keep from sticking. Place dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a baking sheet with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Knead the dough again for a few minutes.
- Shape the dough into a round and place it on the greased sheet. Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Let the bread rise again while oven is preheating. Bake the bread for 1 hour, or until the top is crusty and light golden brown.