Ethiopian honey yeast bread
Learn how to make this delicious honey yeast bread from Ethiopia.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 60ml of lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 240ml lukewarm whole milk
- 6 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
- 600g flour
- Pour the water into a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Allow it to stand for 3 minutes and then stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Leave the bowl in a warm place for around 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the mixture should have doubled in volume.
- Mix the egg, honey, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and salt until the mixture is smooth. Add the milk, yeast mixture and 5 tablespoons of the melted butter. Stir well. Gradually add the flour until the mixture becomes too stiff to stir.
- Knead the dough for around 5 minutes, adding a small amount of flour when necessary to keep from sticking. Place dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a baking sheet with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Knead the dough again for a few minutes.
- Shape the dough into a round and place it on the greased sheet. Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Let the bread rise again while oven is preheating. Bake the bread for 1 hour, or until the top is crusty and light golden brown.
Global Family Food event
This Harvest CAFOD is holding a Global Family Food event on Saturday 10 October and we would love for you to join us. If you can't join our event, you could set up your own! We have more recipe ideas to help you get started.