Sri Lankan milk toffee (kiri aluwa)
See if you can make this amazing milk toffee (kiri aluwa) from Sri Lanka.
- 125ml water
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar (fairtrade)
- 395g sweetened condensed milk
- 30g unsalted butter
- 50g unsalted cashews, chopped
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- Place 125ml water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar dissolves then stir in condensed milk and butter.
- Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until the mixture is light golden.
- Stir in nuts and vanilla.
- Cool then spread evenly into a deep baking tray.
- Using a knife, score mixture into squares and set aside for 1 hour.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.