Colombian spicy hot chocolate
This recipe for spicy hot chocolate comes from Colombia, and is perfect for winter. The chilli, added to the heat and the ginger, can save you from catching a cold! For best results, use a chocolatier.
Preparation: 2 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
- Cocoa squares, or dark cooking chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ -½ red or green chilli, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 3 tsp cane or brown sugar *
*depending on whether you used sweetened chocolate. Adjust to taste.
- Gently heat the milk until nearly boiling. Then add the cocoa or chocolate squares, the ginger, chopped chilli and sugar.
- Stir until the cocoa squares are melting, then turn down the heat and then, if you are using the chocolatier, ‘whisk’ with the wooden mixer by placing the handle between your palms and rolling it back and forth. If not using this whisk, just beat gently with a wooden spoon. Do this until the hot chocolate has bubbles and serve at once.
Global Family Food event
This Harvest CAFOD is holding a Global Family Food event on Saturday 10 October and we would love for you to join us. If you can't join our event, you could set up your own! We have more recipe ideas to help you get started.