Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
Enjoy our Chocolate Hot Cross Buns recipe this Easter!
- 280g bread flour
- 80g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 7g instant yeast (one sachet)
- 30g salted butter
- 200g milk chocolate chips
- 100g white chocolate chips (for the crosses)
- Warm up the milk, butter and sugar on a low heat on the hob.
- Once at blood temperature (37.6 degrees Celsius), add yeast and let it rest for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl with chocolate chips.
- Add the egg to milk mix and whisk until combined.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add in the milk mix, Combine until a soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes, or 5 if using a stand mixer with hook attachment.
- Leave to rest in an oiled bowl for 1hr until doubled in size.
- Cut into 8 equal balls and roll into smooth rounds.
- Place into an oiled tin and leave to rest until it has risen to the top on the tin or if not in a loaf, spaced out on a tray and until they have doubled in size again.
- Bake at 180c fan, 200c no fan , gas mark 6 for 15 minutes or 30 minutes if in a loaf.
- Leave to cool before topping with melted chocolate for the crosses on top.
Best enjoyed with ice cream or clotted cream!