Savoury Hot Cross Buns
Enjoy our Savoury Hot Cross Buns recipe this Easter.
- 150ml whole milk, plus extra for brushing
- 50g butter, cubed
- 450g strong white bread flour, plus 8 tbsp for the crosses
- 1 tsp salt
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 large egg, beaten
- oil, for greasing
- 75g mature Cheddar, grated
- 35g Parmesan, grated
- 75g feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp chives
You can use other cheeses if you wish, just the same amounts.
1. Heat the milk, butter and 75ml water in a small pan over a low heat for 1-2 mins until the butter is starting to melt. Remove from the heat and stir until the butter has melted completely. Leave to cool slightly - blood temperature, not hot.
2. In a large bowl, combine the 450g flour with the salt and yeast. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the milk mixture and the beaten egg. Mix together with a wooden spoon to form a rough dough.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for around 10 mins until soft, smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 1hr or until doubled in size.
4. Once the dough has risen, knock it back by gently kneading out the air, then tip out onto a lightly floured work surface. Flatten the dough slightly and scatter over the Cheddar, Parmesan, feta and chives, pressing into the dough. Pull up the edges of the dough to enclose the cheese and herb mix, then knead for 2 mins to evenly distribute the cheese throughout the dough.
5. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces (around 75g each) and shape each into a round bun. Transfer to a large baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper, placing the buns quite close together but not touching. Cover loosely with oiled clingfilm. Leave to rise again in a warm place for 45-50 mins. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C.
6. Lightly brush the tops of the risen buns with milk. Mix the 8 tbsp flour with 7 tbsp water to make a smooth paste. Transfer to a piping bag with a small end cut or small nozzle. Pipe a line across each row of buns, then repeat in the other direction to create crosses. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown.
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, or serve slightly warm. These are delicious on their own or split and spread with butter or with any number of savoury fillings.