The Community Walk against Hunger
Organise a walk in your community on Saturday 26 March, and join with hundreds of people walking in community in England and Wales to support children whose lives are at risk through malnutrition.
How to join in
Take the following steps(!) to join the Walk against Hunger as a community or parish:
- Set up your JustGiving page through our microsite (If you already have an individual page, you will need a different email address), click on the button above! (Click 'Join in now')
Enter details for your parish or community group:
- Page title: e.g. Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s Walk Against Hunger
- Add the postcode of your Church’s address
- Find the correct address of your parish church in the drop-down list
(Note: If you are walking as a parish group of more than one church, pick the postcode and address used as the main mailing address for the parish. If you are walking as a group of several parishes, pick the address of the parish of the main organiser of the walk.)
- Select if you would like to hear from CAFOD by email
Edit your page:
Click ‘Edit my page’ on the bottom left of the screen
- Add your fundraising target
- Change the distance from 200km to the distance you think your parishioners or community group can walk collectively on one day. (200km is the target for individuals walking every day during Lent)
- Select an image for your parish or community (e.g. photo of your Church or an image representing your community), or use our template image here)
- Add your story. Tell us why your parish or community group is Walking Against Hunger this Lent
- Display the poster in your parish/community or download one below.
- Choose a route. Maybe there's a particularly beautiful local walk that would be suitable.
- Make sure you take plenty of photos on the event and share them using #walkagainsthunger and @CAFOD.
- Add your distance by clicking the 'Log Fitness' button on your Walk Against Hunger page.
If you are organising a Community Walk Against Hunger, you can order a special pack with advice and resources to help you on the day.
What happens if coronavirus regulations mean we cannot meet up in groups?
This is of course a possibility, and we want people to follow the current government advice. But even if you are only able to walk on your own, you’ll be walking with many others virtually on Saturday 26 March!
Do I have to fundraise using JustGiving?
Yes please! However, if you prefer, you can use a sponsorship form, pay in offline donations on the website or post them, and add these amounts to the offline total on your JustGiving page.
Do we have to walk at the set date and time?
We hope as many people as possible can walk at 2pm on Saturday 26 March so that we can all walk together – if only virtually! Using #walkagainsthunger and @CAFOD to share posts and pictures will help you connect with others doing the walk as well.
If it isn’t possible to walk at the set date or time, please choose an alternative date or time within Lent.
What do I need to consider when picking a route?
Pick a place where you can walk on your own or with family and try to avoid walking the whole distance next to busy roads. The distance that we are suggesting is 5km, but if you have a local walk which is a different length then that is fine!
Ensure that everyone brings water to drink and wears suitable clothing and footwear. See our health and safety guidance for more details.
Can I do the Community Walk against Hunger and the Walk against Hunger 40 day challenge?
We’d love people to get involved in both! You can start the 40-day challenge on Ash Wednesday and take part in the Community Walk against Hunger on Saturday 26 March as your daily walk!
Collect Sponsorship with our Walk Against Hunger Sponsorship Form
Download a poster for your community Walk Against Hunger
Social Media assets to download and share
Use our images and videos to share your Community Walk Against Hunger - tell everyone and share, share, share!
What else can I do?
If you fancy even more walking, why not take part in the 40-day challenge!