Join our young adult COP26 mobilisation in Glasgow!
2 September 2021
World leaders, scientists, civil society and activists will be gathering in Glasgow this November to ensure COP26, the UN climate summit, secures urgent climate commitments and action.
CAFOD is looking for 18-30-year-olds from across the Catholic community in England and Wales to join us for our mobilisation over the middle weekend of the COP, 5-7 November.
What will we do during the mobilisation?
We will be organising a weekend of activities and mobilisations alongside Catholic colleagues, as well as SCIAF, CIDSE and the COP26 Coalition.
We will provide accommodation for those joining us in Glasgow and cover shared meals (please see our FAQs below, which we will keep updated as and when things are confirmed). CAFOD campaigners selected to come with us will be asked to organise their own travel to and from Glasgow for the weekend of Friday 5 – Sunday 7 November.
Being part of this mobilisation will offer you:
- an inspiring opportunity to meet other campaigners from across the UK
- experience of new opportunities and training for skills to campaign with us in the lead up to COP26 and beyond
- a chance to develop your own ideas of promoting sustainability and working for climate justice
- an educational opportunity: including information, examples of campaign actions, and a chance to meet some of our international colleagues working on the frontline of the climate crisis
- opportunities to keep in touch with the young adult group and with CAFOD to share ideas and support each other.
In return, we ask that you commit to:
- attend online training with us on Saturday 2 October
- book your own return travel to Glasgow once you are selected and be part of CAFOD’s group in Glasgow from 5-7 November
- be willing to share your experiences from Glasgow - this could be via social media, print, radio, or TV, and/or with your local community and networks
- attend an online debriefing session on Saturday 27 November.
If you can make it in person to Romero House in London, please also join us for a banner making workshop in preparation for our mobilisation on Thursday 21 October from 5-7pm.
Who we're looking for and how to apply
We are looking for young people who are interested in campaigning with CAFOD and are enthusiastic to learn more. We are looking for volunteers with a mix of skills, experience and backgrounds to take part.
Participants must be aged 18-30. We hope the group will express the diversity of the community from geography, life stage, politics, education and background.
The deadline for completed applications is Wednesday 22 September 2021.
We will also be mobilising in London, as part of the COP26 coalition, over the same weekend. If you do not wish to travel to Glasgow or are not successful with your application this time (we unfortunately only have limited spaces), we hope you can join us in London for the Global Day of Action on 6 November.
What safety measures will we follow when in Glasgow?
If we can be physically present in Glasgow, we will ask that everyone who is able to gets a rapid lateral flow test within two days of their departure to Glasgow. We may require you to observe social distancing measures and wear a mask throughout the programme, as well as when travelling around Glasgow. Upon return, we may advise you get another rapid lateral flow test where possible.
What if we are unable to travel due to Covid-19 restrictions?
If we are unable to travel and be in Glasgow, we will have a virtual gathering as part of our engagement and campaigning around COP26 and will continue to offer training and opportunity for involvement in our campaigns beyond COP26.
How will I get to Glasgow?
If selected, we will ask that you book your own return travel to Glasgow. There will be a travel bursary fund available for those that need it (the price of the trip should not deter you from applying to join us). We will confirm locations and draft itinerary with you at training.
What about accommodation?
Due to the high demand during COP26, we have secured limited accommodation in Glasgow. We will provide shared rooms and further details will be updated here in due course.