Be part of our young adult delegation to Cornwall for the G7
8 March 2021
Do you want to join CAFOD’s young adult delegation to Cornwall for the G7?
This June, world leaders from the wealthiest nations in the world will meet in Cornwall to agree how we build back better from coronavirus and create a greener, more prosperous future.
As part of our Reclaim Our Common Home campaign, CAFOD is taking a small delegation of young adult Catholics, aged 18-35, to Cornwall from 10-13 June 2021 to ensure that our voice is heard by world leaders. This will be an opportunity to learn about the G7 forum, the UK government’s agenda for recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and its effort to address climate change.
The deadline for completed applications is Monday 22 March 2021.
Who we're looking for and how to apply
We are looking for young people who are interested in campaigning with CAFOD and are enthusiastic to learn more. We are looking for volunteers with a mix of skills, experience and backgrounds to take part.
Participants must be 18-35. We hope the delegation will express the diversity of the community from geography, life stage, politics, education and background.
If your application is successful, then in return we would expect the following from delegates:
- Participate in our 2021 Reclaim Our Common Home campaign actions, including organising at least one community action.
- Be willing to share your G7 experiences - this might include a blog post or sharing on social media and, for those who want to do media, it might include local media coverage too. We will provide training and support from our media team.
- If you are able to, we would ask for £50 as a contribution towards the costs of the trip. We can support with ideas of how to fundraise for this, but we appreciate this might not be possible for everyone so please don’t let financial worries put you off applying!
What else do I need to know before I apply?
You will need to be available to attend all training and debriefing sessions listed below:
- 10 April, 10.30am-12.30pm: Parliament in your Parish training
- 17 April, 10.30am-12.30pm: Training session and webinar prep
- 6 May, 6.30-7.30pm: Your webinar!
- 10-13 June: G7 event in Cornwall
- 26 June: Debriefing session and campaigning beyond the G7 (time tbc)
Frequently asked questions
What safety measures will we follow when in Cornwall?
If we can be physically present in Cornwall, we will ask that everyone who is able to gets a rapid test within two days of their departure to Cornwall. We may require you to observe social distancing measures and wear a mask throughout the programme, as well as when travelling around Cornwall. Upon return, we may advise delegates to get another rapid test where possible.
What if we are unable to travel due to Covid-19 restrictions?
If we are unable to travel and be in Cornwall, we will have a virtual gathering as part of our engagement and campaigning around the G7 and will continue to offer training and opportunity for involvement in our campaigns throughout 2021 and beyond.
How will I get to Cornwall?
All arrangements are provisional and will be updated regularly here, in accordance with government guidelines.
Who will arrange and pay for travel?
We will cover the cost of travel once transport booking options are open (please let us know if you are happy to book your own or require us to book on your behalf). We will confirm locations and itinerary with you at training.
What about accommodation?
Due to the beginning of the holiday season and demand for accommodation being high, we will aim to provide individual/shared rooms where possible and are also looking into the option of camping. Further details will be updated here in due course.
What will our time in Cornwall look like?
We are currently developing the itinerary and are seeking to engage in fringe events and activity around the G7 with other coalition organisations in the safest way and according to government guidance.
When should I apply?
Please note that we will take applications on a rolling basis and will close them when we have enough successful applicants, so get yours in early!
The deadline for completed applications is Monday 22 March 2021. All candidates will be notified by 29 March at the latest.