Coming soon…Lent Fast Day
10 December 2018
Family Fast Day during Lent is Friday 15 March 2019
This Lent, your generosity will give vital support to the communities we work with around the world.
Mahinur, her disabled husband and 12-year-old son, are an example of a family that we hope to reach thanks to the Lent appeal. Mahinur’s family live in Bangladesh, where floods, droughts, and cyclones have damaged crops, homes, health and income.
Mahinur usually catches fish to sell but since the local river dried up in May 2018, there are no fish to catch. Mahinur told us: “There should be fish in the river now. It's the right time of year. But there's nothing.”
Mahinur cooks and cleans in neighbours’ homes for a bit of cash but it’s never enough. There are days the family have nothing to eat.
Our local expert, Jamal, has already helped a few families in Mahinur’s village - teaching them new farming techniques, and distributing seeds, ducks and chickens. But sadly, there hasn’t been enough money available to help Mahinur. You can change this today by supporting our Lent appeal and enable us to reach out to more families in desperate need of help.
5 ways you can get involved:
- In your parish. Pin up our eye-catching poster and use our short talk to introduce the parish to Mahinur. If you would like to have someone speak at Mass, please contact your local CAFOD volunteer centre. Get the children involved too by downloading our children's liturgy and illustration for the first Sunday of Lent.
- Have a pancake party! Flip poverty on its head this Shrove Tuesday by challenging friends and family to pancake flipping competition. How many can you flip in 2 minutes? If everyone donates £2 to take part, your pancakes will make a big difference to families with nothing to eat.
- Pledge to eat soup this Family Fast Day! Have a simple soup meal and give what you save. Even better, gather a crowd and organise a soup-er fundraiser. We’ll send you a poster, guide and recipes… yummy.
- Prayer can move mountains. Our prayers of intercession can be used at church, with your prayer group, your family or on your own in quiet reflection. You can also order our prayer card from the CAFOD shop.
- Share our video of Mahinur on Facebook and social media. Together we can spread the message of love our global neighbour to thousands of people across England and Wales.
We also have great resources for young people to learn about life for children in Bangladesh. Our Lent pages for primary school resources and young people's resources have everything you need to get your pupils involved.
Thank you to everyone who has donated to the Lent Appeal. Your gifts will change lives around the world.